Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Thankful

Today is a day to be thankful.

This morning, Andre came to us with a tumor on the top of his mouth. You probably could not tell from the outside that he had been suffering with this for years as it took over his mouth. However, by the look of the CT scan and the time and care it took for our anesthesia team to place a breathing tube- he was struggling to even breath. I assisted Dr. Gary in the surgery and the mass came right out after a little manipulation. It fit right inside the palm of my hand. Most likely it is not a malignant tumor, but it would have been fatal to Andre if he did not come for surgery on the ship. Today, be thankful for each breath.

Last night, I took the ship's youth down to the ward to sing songs and hang out with the patients. We made our way down the hospital corridor visiting patients and finished the night in the max-fax ward. I was able to check up on a few patients like Moussa and Nafi, both are recovering well. Madama, a 51 year-old cleft lip patient, had a mirror in her hand, as she admired her new lip. So one of the youth, Michelle, met Mariama in D ward. Both girls are about the same age, but one thing is different- Mariama cannot attend school because of her cleft lip. Michelle managed to teach her new friend a card game despite a language barrier and Mariama unable to understand the numbers on the cards. Mariama came with her father to the ship from the far north of Guinea and I met them at the bench today for her surgery. Melanie assisted Dr. Gary in repairing Mariama's lip, complete with a star-shaped nasal bolster and steristrip whiskers. Hopefully, one day Mariama will be able to attend school and be the star student. Today, be thankful that you are able to read.

Our last patient, Matwata, came all the way from Liberia for her surgery. I noticed Matwata shyly watching from her corner bed in the ward as we sang songs last night. The translator shared the words of "Trading My Sorrows" with the patients- "I'm trading my sorrow... sickness... shame... pain, for the joy of the Lord." Eventually, a small dance party formed with youth, nurses, and patients- including Matwata. Matwata had part of her lower jaw removed today by Dr. Gary and Maryke. Another common tumor we see here, called ameloblastoma, that aggressively takes over the jaw and mouth. Most patients are malnourished because the tumor makes it nearly impossible to eat. So today, when you sit down for your next meal, be thankful you are able to eat.

To some readers, I may sound a little to direct in this blog, but it is a reminder to me as well to be thankful. It was a long day so I was tired when the call team came and took over Matwata's surgery. I headed to my cabin to take some medicine to combat this cold I've held on to for awhile. Instead of complaining about the petri ship, I was thankful I had medicine near at hand to help me feel better. I proceeded to the dining room for dinner- I was more than thankful for the galley team that prepared Mexican food for dinner for the crew. And thats when it hit me, I was able to eat unlike Matwata. I have had the privilege to attend school and hope Mariama will be able to one day soon. Tonight as I sit here, I think of Andre recovering on the ward, that each breath he takes, he is thankful.

4 comments:

The Nordin Life said...

Hi Allison! What's the cause of most of the tumors you treat on the Africa Mercy? And how common are they? Just want to be educated. Thanks!

Sher Sutherland said...

Dang girl! You can make me smile HUGE while fighting back the "allergies" that overtake my eyes. I thank God ALWAYS that I get the privilege of all that I have AND the resources so I can serve in Africa. And I thank God for you, friend.

sara said...

Oh Allison, what a great reminder for us all to not take our health or what God provides for granted!

Unknown said...

My father has a cancer. He also have a tumor, malignant tumor at stage 4. Before, I thank God everyday when he still breathing. But now, I ask God to take his life because I don't want to witness his suffering. But I still thank God because I know everything has a purpose.

Evangelical

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.